Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
Action Center
Oswego Fire Department History
Updated On: Dec 17, 2009

 

The Oswego Volunteer Fire Protection District began as a village fire department after a fire that destroyed the Congregational Church in Oswego in 1893.  On July 17, 1895 the village purchased a hose and hose cart, and by August 28 of the same year, a fire company was formed.  A hose house was added to the town council house at 65 Washington Street in June of 1897.  In 1898 a bell was placed in a tower atop the house to signal the fireman for a call.  This bell is now in front of Station 1 on Main Street in downtown Oswego.

 Following a devastating fire that destroyed several buildings at a local farm, area farmers decided something had to be done to protect their interests.  In 1936, the Oswego Fire Protection District was formed by voter referendum, covering all of Oswego Township and part of Will County.  The district now also covers the majority of Na-Au-Say Township and a portion of Bristol Township.  Andrew Pierce, Glenn Leigh,  James Steward and Wally Davis were appointed the first commissioners.

 

Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?
2017 MEETING DATES

January 10  Tues. Black  Sta 1 6PM

March 15     Wed. Red    St. 1   6PM

May 9     Tues.   Gold  St. 1  6PM

July 12    Wed. Black    St. 1  6PM

Sept. 14   Thurs.    Red   St. 1  6PM

Nov. 14   Tues.   Gold   St. 1  6PM

Important Links
Northern Illinois FireGround Photos
Urban Firefighter
Visit www.iaff.org!
Visit www.affi-iaff.org!
Visit www.oswegofire.com!
Visit www.oswegoil.org!
Visit iafflocals.net/!
Visit www.firefighterclosecalls.com/!
Weather Report
Site Search
Site Map
RSS Feeds
 
 
IAFF Local 4773
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image